Protecting your home from the elements means you’ll need a roof that is in good shape. Older roofing can fail and cause roof leaks which can damage the interior of your home. Other weather events such as storms and sometimes even wildlife can cause damage to roofs. When you have a damaged roof hiring a roofing contractor in Birmingham Michigan is a must. We’ll include some tips in this article to help you get the best roofer for your project. Since getting roof repairs or roof replacement isn’t something that is done often many home owners simply don’t know what to look for when it comes to hiring a roof contractor, which we’ll address here.
Key Tips for Hiring a Roofing Contractor in Birmingham Michigan
When approaching the decisions you have to make for replacing your roof in Birmingham Michigan, you may find yourself overwhelmed with all that it may entail. Replacing your roof is one of the biggest projects you can undertake as a home owner and can be both expensive and time consuming. When faced with deciding on a contractor or company to use, you may feel unsure of what you should consider.
Here are some important things you need to be sure of when looking for a roofing contractor:
- Understand the full scope of the project – You need to discuss with your contractor exactly what they plan to do to your roof. Find out whether their plan includes spot repairs or a complete roof replacement as well as the materials they plan to use. Find out the good and bad to what options they are going with and make sure all of this is detailed in the contract you draw up with the contractor.
- Clean up and waste removal – Discuss with your contractor who will be responsible for the cleanup following your roof repairs. A good company will not only take away the large waste and debris, but they will sweep your property from the small debris and any puncturing items before they close the project.
- Gutters and landscaping – For roof repairs, it goes without question that ladders will be used by the employees working on the project. These could cause damage to your gutter system when leaned against the house. These could also create holes and damage your landscaping around the perimeter of your home. Ask your contractor how they plan to prevent damages or protect your home from these things as well as what plans they have in place to correct any damages that could occur. A reputable company will have already considered these things as part of the nature of the business.
- Plan around the weather – A roofing contractor should have a bad weather contingency plan. While they should schedule the project around the weather, there is always a chance something sudden could happen. Discuss with them how they plan to protect your home should a weather event occur in the middle of the project.
- Insurance coverage – If you are making these repairs on an insurance claim, be sure that the work that is proposed will be covered by the claim. Additionally, make sure that the contractor has the appropriate insurance in place for any unforeseen accidents that could occur on the job. Otherwise, you could be responsible for accidents.
- Different roof systems may require difference contractors. Check for certifications and licenses to make sure your system is being installed by the correct people. Otherwise you could risk faulty installation as well as not having a manufacturer’s warranty to cover the roof or materials.
Don’t forget to do your part in extending the life of your roof! Here are a few ways you can ensure that you are doing all that you can to protect your roof.
- Ensure your roof is clear of overhanging and dead limbs. You may need to have a professional assess whether any overhanging tree branches are a threat to the safety of your roof. Also, heavy shading could have a negative impact on your roof if it leads to moisture retention. This can lead to a mold problem and damage your roof and home.
- Regularly inspect your roof for weather damage. This could include damage from flying debris or hail, among general wind damage and other factors. Spotting small problems quickly will prevent you from having a major undertaking in repairs.
Get a Free Estimate First
Learn more about the roofing project and the costs associated with it by first getting a roof estimate. Many roof contractors will offer free estimates and roof inspections. To get started be sure to call Oakes Roofing in Michigan at (586) 726-2300 to get a free estimate. They are fully licensed and insured and offers residential roofing service in Birmingham Michigan.