Having a nice and comfortable living room is important for guests, family and friends. Having a nice kitchen on the other hand is one of the best gifts you can give yourself. It is the first room you see in the morning and the first room you want to see at the end of a workday. Few things can lift your mood faster than walking in to the clean and organized kitchen you designed just before you filled it with pots, pans, a stove and the perfect selection of coffee cups that you spent years gathering through several impulse buys at gift shops and super stores.
When Is It Time for a Kitchen Remodel in Plymouth Michigan?
There will come a point when simply doing the dishes and dusting the shelves will not give this room the same emotional comfort. Paint fades, appliances break, and sometimes there is no getting that marinara stain out of the ceiling. Even if your faucet hasn’t turned filling the coffee pot into a game of dip and dodge, simply having an outdated kitchen can start turning your habitual refrigerator assessment into a desperate need for comfort food. If you are old enough to own a home, chances are you didn’t wish to be the youngest thing in any of its rooms.
You need not be afraid. For as little as two months of pay you can reclaim your secretly favorite room. It just takes a little bit of shopping, planning and finding the right contractor to get you through the process.
How Much Do I have to Spend On This?
Homeadvisor.com places kitchen remodels around $24,000 on average. However, thisoldhouse.com shows fantastic kitchen remodels that cost less than $1,000. The reality is, you have to make a few decisions as far as what you are willing to spend in contrast of what you want the final result to be. Other considerations will be the square footage of your kitchen, complexity of your kitchen as far as plumbing and electric, demolition costs and the amount of raw construction you require to create the kitchen you want.
- Do a top down drawing of your kitchen. It doesn’t have to get you accepted into an Italian art school; it is just a way to help you plan. Write notes next to the cabinets, appliances, walls and every aspect of your kitchen you wish to remodel. Write out the desired colors, brands, styles, and materials.
- Hop on the Internet or call some friends. Find out what the proper names for all of your dream items are. Once you have the proper names, scour the web to find stores that carry the things you are looking for. Now that you have these names and prices, you can plan a budget and get a contractor on the phone.
- Find a contractor you trust and have them come make a bid. While coming up with their bid, they will assess your current kitchen and be able to offer you professional advice. Break out your Da-vincian masterpiece and walk them through your dreams. They will give you the insight on the products and materials you were wishing to throw into your eatery. This isn’t their first rodeo, let them give you the insider advice on which products and idea’s are great, and which ones will only hurt you in the long run.
That Thing Everyone Forgets About
- Depending on the scope of your remodeling project, you may need to do some planning and reorganizing. If you are going for a full remodel job that means you will not have access to anything in your kitchen for up to a month or more. You may need to plan ahead, or talk to your contractor about this. Many contractors will provide their clients with temporary means like portable sinks to do their dishes during the construction process.
- You may want to get a little out of the ordinary and move your microwave and refrigerator into the garage, or even the living room. If you position everything just right, you will have a month of being able to reach your refrigerator and microwave while sitting in your favorite seat.
- In all seriousness, it is important that you plan for this aspect of a kitchen remodel. It will make your contractor’s job much easier, quicker and cheaper if they can remodel your kitchen without having to work around other people or heavy appliances that make it difficult to access the electrical or plumbing systems. This will also aid in the mutual safety of everyone involved.
On A Side Note
- It is possible to get financing to remodel your kitchen. This would be ideal if you are remodeling the kitchen to drive up the property value of your home. Otherwise, it’s up to you on whether or not your dream kitchen is worth going into debt. No judgment here, life is short.
Remodeling your kitchen can be as big or as little of a job as you desire. All that matters is that you are happy with the results. If you have questions concerning a kitchen remodel project, or any general construction in the Plymouth Michigan or surrounding areas, call Home Pros Plymouth at 734-548-9911. They will be happy to help with your remodeling experience plus they offer free quotes and financing for projects.